CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »
Teaching and growing through Gospel principles

Sunday, February 26, 2012

A New Focus

I have long been impressed by the mothers spoken of in Alma 56 & 57, the mothers of Helaman's 2,000 stripling warriors. From the first moment of early pregnancy, intensifying the moment I learned my youngest child was a son, I felt a strong pull to become something more than I currently was... something closer to the 2,000 women I had long admired.

I have been curious and inspired by the time, effort, and love it must have taken these women to not only teach their children, but to execute an unwavering example of faith in the Lord. I am just as often discouraged by my own lack of consistent faithful examples to my own family. I am too impatient, I am quick to anger. I don't spend enough time in personal scripture study. Successful family home evenings are few and {very} far between. I worry that my children will waiver in their faith if I am not more diligent in my efforts. I desire to do better, and I know the consequences if I fail. Failure is NOT an option.

Tonight I read an article, by Darla Isackson here, which spoke to me and helped me realize WHY I feel the way I do.... I feel an urgency to teach my children - my son, especially - because Heavenly Father KNOWS that they are precious and special.... and so does the adversary. He will not stop trying to sway them away from eternal life, therefore, I must NEVER be lackadaisical in my efforts to instill the principles and values of the Gospel within the hearts of my children!

These are just a couple of the many insights I pulled from Darla's article.
 “I feel to invoke the blessings of heaven on my sons--to call out every possible spiritual source of help. They are at the crossroad, their decisions are so crucial; I know the adversary will do all in his power to turn them from the spiritual blessings that are their birthright. I read their patriarchal blessings recently. These are choice and valiant spirits and worth all the effort Satan can make to waylay them from the right path. Surely the Lord knows exactly what is happening and will send every spiritual source of help that can strengthen them. Their spirits are so precious, their decisions so crucial right now--choice of wife, choice of path, choice of life patterns. Their whole life will be so much affected. Their unborn children so impacted. Can these unborn children intervene in their behalf? Can they influence them for righteousness and right choices? Only the Lord knows what my sons need, what can reach them, what influences will safeguard their souls, keep them on the path to their eternal inheritances. How I pray that they will be protected from the evils in the world, that the people and situations will come into their lives that will encourage them in the things of God. I would give my very life for any one of them to keep them safely moving ahead true to the best that is in them, listening to the Spirit, following it, becoming the men of God they have the potential to become. But in reality, I know that the most important thing I can do for them is to live by the Spirit myself and be a living witness of the truth.”
"Living in this wicked world, fighting daily battles, “wounds” are inevitable. Our children must learn by their mistakes--not by having us protect them from making any. The stripling warrior’s mothers prepared their sons to go off and do battle with great faith. They did not try to protect them by keeping them from going.  But the words and prayers of their mothers sustained them."
"... the glorious gift of the Atonement is Healing--no
matter how grievous the spiritual wounds. The Savior will bind up our stripling warrior’s wounds--and ours as well... Our children will be spiritually protected by their faith in the Lord and their faith can be increased by our faithfulness, consistent loving communication, and example. The children of the promise shall not perish spiritually!"
 WOW! This brings me to near-tears with the thought that in some not too distant time, my children {I have a daughter in the onslaught of it now} will be tempted beyond all understanding... and I will not be able to stop it. But oh, the relief I feel to know the God knows each one, He knows what they need, He can and does guide me in the ways of strengthening them. Oh how important their spiritual education at the knee of their mother is, so much more so than any formal education. So far-reaching and powerful.

This year I desire to focus on being more conspicuous as I live the Gospel. Purposefully keeping the Lord's commandments and honoring my covenants. Allowing my children to intentionally see the efforts and fruits of righteous, faithful living. I want them to know - without a doubt - that I know that Jesus Christ lives! That I know that He is our Savior and that His gospel has been restored to the earth. That I know that Joseph Smith Jr. was a prophet; that he did translate the Book of Mormon, by the power of God; that there is a true and living Prophet on the earth today! I want them to know that I know it with all of my heart and that I love Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ, and they love me! I want them to know that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ love each of them, with every fiber of their beings, I want them to know that!

Ryan's LDS Quotes